Saturday, November 24, 2012

(Nov. 24) First blog about the making of Toronto Urban Strolls 2

First blog about the making of...
Saturday November 24, 2012


Today, I've decided I'd write a chronicle of the making of my next guide so those interested in self-publishing can learn about the process involved. (Those books don't just happen!)

My first guide, Toronto Fun Places... for families, is currently in its 5th edition and has sold over 40,000 copies. My second guide, Toronto Urban Strolls... for girlfriends (Part 1) was released last Spring. It made the Globe & Mail's bestsellers list in the Canadian non fiction category and sold 5,000 copies in 3 months.

I'm currently working on a Part 2 for Toronto Urban Strolls as well as the second edition of Part 1. My goal is to release both guides next Spring. We'll see how it goes!


I spent the last two months doing research for 24 new strolls I want to include in Part 2. It meant going out to take photos any time it was sunny. Yesterday was all grey, but the day before, I spent a fabulous day in and around High Park. Gorgeous!

Now, I'm down to a list of bits and pieces I need to go and shoot. I still need 3 sunny days before all the leaves are gone.


Writing Toronto Urban Strolls is pretty much like being pregnant: 
1) From one pregnancy to the next, you forget about all the work involved, only thinking about the outcome.
2) It's growing inside of me. 
3) I'm getting bigger (with all this research in the cafés, bakeries and cute restaurants).

Got to go. It's sunny outside!



No comments:

Post a Comment